silence - Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used

  • From: Rod Stasick <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 15:16:29 -0600

On Jan 14, 2019, at 13:17, David Bellows <>
wrote:

The other point is that once you have two spine words are the wing
words chosen randomly from all the valid words between them? Right now
my software chooses up to 11 words before and after each spine word
(meeting the mesostic rules) and then, depending on the option chosen,
randomly chooses from those words.

If I’m reading your comment correctly, this was the idea that Nicki Hoffman
had,
at first, implemented incorrectly, so I wouldn’t try doing that hack on your
software.
Think of the “wing words” as simply extensions of what has come before the
mesoletter
and another extension of what has come after the mesoletter. You can also
think of the
words as a branch of the mesotree that is just extended left or right of the
mesoletter:
some are short branches, and some are longer ones - each keeping within the
confines
of the mesorules. There are no breaks in a branch, for instance, where you
can cut out
middle segments and so on.

An example using your words (and only the first two letters of your name):

“...I'm definitely trying to be as accurate to Cage as I can and
especially so once he was using computers to assist the process...”

i’m Definitely trying
to be As accurate to cage as i can

[I hope this lines up, but I think you’ll get it].

Anyway, if you look at the second line,
you aren’t allowed to pick and choose which words
you want from the branch. For example you can’t decide to say:

“to be As accurate as i can”

nor can you say:

“to be As cage as i can”

or any variation where you are choosing to jump around.

Also, notice:
You can extend your branches to varying lengths
as long as the words are connected in a string,
so with the above mini-mesostic you can have
either of these versions

i’m Definitely trying to be
As accurate to cage as i can

i’m Definitely trying
to be As accurate to cage as i can

My comment concerning the limits of the programming language
was more about how you can’t rely on the random number generator
to decide something that may actually be an aesthetic decision about
“wing word" lengths. Whether there are 7 more words or only one word in
the "branch” is something that might better be decided by a choice-deciding
brain.

hope this helps,

Rod

Now Playing:

‌Edward Avis‌ - Evening in Birdland

from:

‌Ecstatic & Wingless: Bird-Imitation on Four Continents, Ca. 1910-44‌