silence - Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used

  • From: David Bellows <>
  • Cc: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 10:50:12 -0800

Hey Julian,

> Look forward to hearing the pieces David, and (hopefully?) exploring the
> code.

I've mostly finished up the mesostic code (had a few late night ideas
last night about how to clean up some of it). Now I have to assemble
the different algorithms for the music but that should be pretty
straightforward since it's all written. After that I'm not sure how
long it will be before the vocalist has a chance to record it but I
will post to the mail list when it happens.

Meantime, all my code is free (AGPL 3.0). You can check it out here:
https://gitlab.com/davethecomposer/platonic-music-engine/tree/dev
The mesostic.lua package in the top-most directory makes all the
function calls while the processing is done in
scripts/text_mesostics.lua. The code is a mess (I'm not a programmer)
but it seems to work well and can output to pdf. You'll need something
like TeXLive installed to get the pdf or you should be able to take
the .tex file and compile it on various online TeX/LaTeX places. It
also produces formatted .txt files so you can see the results there as
well. If you have any questions or comments about the code definitely
feel free to ask!

Dave
https://www.platonicmusicengine.com