silence - Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used

  • From: David Bellows <>
  • Cc: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 15:46:21 -0800

Hey Rod,

Just a heads-up, none of the documentation for the mesostics code has
been written yet. So what you'll see is how to use the Platonic Music
Engine as a whole and unless you feel comfortable programming the
whole thing can be pretty intimidating. It's usable if you read
through the tutorial and make sure you have Lua 5.3.x installed and
Csound and, really, Lilypond (so you can see the sheet music). If you
are interested in generating in music let me know and I can help.
Everything's in early alpha but works.

But you can look through the mesostic.lua file and with the comments
in there you should be able to at least see what would happen if you
used the program.

In a few days or so I'm going to generate a pdf which shows mesostic
generation using many different options along with the source text
(part of Walden) so people can check the results if they want or at
least offer suggestions on what happens.

Dave