silence - Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used

  • From: David Bellows <>
  • To: Rod Stasick <>
  • Cc: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 11:17:25 -0800

Hey Rod, thanks for your input here!

I'm definitely trying to be as accurate to Cage as I can and
especially so once he was using computers to assist the process. That
said, I'm not a programmer and am continually limited by my knowledge
and skill. I try to make up for this with providing options.

> She was under the impression that Cage just picked any words between the
> two Mesoletters and used them as wing words. When I pointed out that this
> was not the case, I believe that she went back to her software and updated
> it

There are two points I'm confused on. Right now my program just starts
from the beginning of the source text, finds the first spine word,
generates the wing words for it (both sides), then finds the next
spine word, generates the wing words and so on till we've generated
enough poems.

As I keep researching this it appears that maybe Cage's software would
create a list of spine words first and then choose spine words
randomly from that list. Is this the case? My software is not set up
for that at all but it's possible I could put an ugly hack together
that would resemble this.

The other point is that once you have two spine words are the wing
words chosen randomly from all the valid words between them? Right now
my software chooses up to 11 words before and after each spine word
(meeting the mesostic rules) and then, depending on the option chosen,
randomly chooses from those words.

I think implementing a version that chooses words entirely randomly
between two spines could be made to work with my software but it will
also be a bit hackish.

> How that can be instituted using a programming language may be a difficult
> existential question and might possibly be the essential reason for Cage’s
> “hand” method.

Yeah, I guess we just have to trust the oracle-like pseudo-randomness
of our random number generators. My software isn't intended to be
perfectly like how Cage did it but, to borrow a phrase, a cheap
imitation of his methods.

Thanks,
Dave