silence - Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used

  • From: David Bellows <>
  • Cc: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Questions on mesostics and the software Cage used
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 15:23:49 -0800

Rod, thank you very much!

As I was checking my results against Nicki's, I noticed that hers
would leave out words in the wing words which she justified with the
following:

"Cage: 'Then I take out the words I don't want.'
My interpretation: Don't add all possible words between spine letters."

So I then added the option to randomly remove words within the wing
words. Originally the software would preserve connected words and then
allow an option to truncate the wing words from random chosen
positions. So given:

"to be As accurate to cage as i can"

might be:

"be As accurate to cage"

or :

"As accurate to cage as I"

and so on. So at least I had it correct the first time!

The software also truncates wings at 45 characters which is something
else she mentions. Meaning, that if the number of characters is
greater than 45 the software removes enough words from whichever is
the offending end to get the total below 45.

> Whether there are 7 more words or only one word in the "branch” is
> something that might better be decided by a choice-deciding brain.

Yeah, there's no way around that one. The software is primarily about
creating music using as many musical ideas I can possibly program in.
I need text generators for lyrics or even for stand alone poetry and
mesostics was an obvious one. The results of the random calculations
are actually determinate (pseudo random number generator) whose
results are entirely dependent on the initial input of the user. So if
I use your name the results will be different than if I use my own.

For example, using the spine "John Cage" with Walden and using your
name as the seed we get:

Judge
Of
Him.
fiNest
whiCh
hAve
or stolen time, robbinG
crEditors

Same spine and source but with my name as the seed:

Judge
Of
Him.
fiNest
whiCh
hAve
borrowed or stolen time, robbinG
crEditors

Not a huge difference, but as you generate more poems you get more
differences.

So even though aesthetic choices aren't being made, hopefully the
oracular nature of tying the output to the initial input (name, birth
date, or literally any combination of characters and then "casting
lots") provides its own kind of aesthetic experience. At least that's
the philosophy behind the project. The difference between this and an
oracle is that the result will always be the exact same given the same
initial input (seed).

Dave