silence - [silence] RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aleatoric € Indeterminacy € Chance

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aleatoric € Indeterminacy € Chance

  • From: Russell Goodwin <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: [silence] RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aleatoric € Indeterminacy € Chance
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 18:09:25 +1100

Dear Silencers,

This discussion has progressed along very rapidly, a little too rapidly for those of us on the antipodean :)

To answer Rod's initial question, I certainly found that composers and commentators, particularly those writing during the 60s, 70s and 80s, used their own definitions of Indeterminacy, Chance and Aleatory. While the terms weren't interchangeable in one writer's work, they were very often interchangeable with those of other writers with their own definitions of the three terms. For my own research, I found that using 'Indeterminacy' as an umbrella term, one that replaced 'Aleatory" and included 'Chance' within it, the most logical given that Cage used that term more than the others and that he was the most prolific exponent.

Cage's own differentiation between 'Indeterminate with respect to its composition' (or 'composer Indeterminacy') and 'Indeterminate with respect to it's performance' (or 'performer Indeterminacy') is much more significant. These are two clear and distinct categories that locate 'Indeterminacy' in either the composing of the score (Music of Changes), the performing of the score (Variation VIII), or both (Imaginary Landscape IV).

I would echo David Miller's position (posted in response earlier) that Chance enters as an approach to Indeterminacy, although Indeterminacy does not have to include chance. Most (if not all) examples of Composer Indeterminacy rely on some form of chance operation or chance determination. In fact, it is hard to envisage one that does not require chance (now, there's a challenge!). Regarding performer Indeterminacy, chance is not a necessary requirement because performer choice may indeed be just that, a deliberate act of choosing.

Cheers

Russell Goodwin