silence - [silence] Re: Aleatoric € Indeterminacy € C hance

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Aleatoric € Indeterminacy € C hance

  • From: Ben Judson <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Aleatoric € Indeterminacy € C hance
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 08:41:28 -0600

Cage introduced different kinds of bias in the chance operations used for composition, so while there would be a certain range of possible outcomes in each operation, certain outcomes were more likely than others, by design. And I've read that he would sometimes change this bias in different sections of a single piece (I'm sure others on this list would know more about this). Taking the dice analogy, he might use dice weight towards 6 in one section of the piece and weighted toward 2 in another section.

I think this is what he wanted to distinguish from "random," which implies that there is no underlying system. In the same way, if a programmer is being precise he will refer to psuedo-random number generator, since there's no such thing as a "random" number generator -- there's always a system underlying it.

Ben.