silence - Re: [silence] ASLSP/ 108

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] ASLSP/ 108

  • From: Rod <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] ASLSP/ 108
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 21:12:26 -0500

Well, there are no markings for hours,
but maybe there is enough leeway in the score -
especially at this time scale - to shift things to
certain dates, but that, for me, is still a
disappointment with the realization.

A wonderfully grand opportunity
to be open to a variety of eventualities
that would have a direct relationship to
the spatializations inherent in the score
rather than a forced attempt at time-positioning
so as to achieve a desired social effect.

Maybe there’ll be an electronic version
someday that could derive, with nanoprecision,
an exact physical score measurement translated into
an exact time measurement that could become a
permanent memorial in a public setting.
Actually depending on pairs of hands to change
tones in a small church (a lovely intimate place tho it is)
for hundreds of years might be a bit optimistic.

Rod