silence - [silence] Re: Re: John Cage and Politics - John Cage's opinion about politics

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Re: John Cage and Politics - John Cage's opinion about politics

  • From: Ralph Lichtensteiger <>
  • To: Wolfgang Sterneck <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Re: John Cage and Politics - John Cage's opinion about politics
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:57:59 +0100

Dear Wolfgang,

thank you for the background information about "Overpopulation and Art" and the "John Cage and the Squat" Hanau project.
And thanks for the links, all the information on your super website is very helpful.

In my opinion the relevance of John Cage's thinking on political, social, society/community related affairs was a bit underrepresented in the worldwide John Cage's 100th birthday celebration events in 2012.

It's too bad that there is a tendency to depict John Cage and his work towards easiness, "the funny, sweet oncle with all the strange and funny sound pieces" etc.

Particularly the establish government controlled institutions (museums and "Kultur" places) paint a rather soft, harmless, nonpolitical and unoffending picture of John Cage's contribution.

I think it is important to deconstruct why institutions have this tendency. The complexity of John Cage's contribution to political and society related topics should have more attention, public focus.

Kind regards,

Ralph Lichtensteiger