silence - [silence] expanding my library

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] expanding my library

  • From: Jared Steward <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [silence] expanding my library
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 21:30:43 -0400

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd start with an introduction, since I've been a "lurker" on this for the past year or so. First of all, I'm a little envious of those of you who knew Cage personally, since I actually didn't learn about him until college in the early to mid 90s when it was too late to meet him!  I'm a percussionist and hope to learn as much as I can about John Cage and his circle of friends and associates. As part of that goal, I've started a web "museum" called Cageum, where I'm putting YouTube clips, audio and other things I've found regarding the subject. If you're interested, the link is below.

The reason I really wanted to write, is because I'd like to expand my library regarding Cage and was wondering what suggestions any of you might have as your top choice of books or recordings or videos. I already have "Silence", Carolyn Brown's "Chance and Circumstance", Elliot Caplan's "Cage/Cunningham" DVD and a few CDs. I've been thinking about getting Gann's book about 4'33'', but what would you list as your top 5 or top 10 books/CDs, etc by or about Cage?

Looking forward to your responses!

Jared