silence - [silence] Re: expanding my library

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: expanding my library

  • From: Rob Haskins <>
  • To: Jared Steward <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: expanding my library
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 09:41:39 -0400

Hi Jared,
Welcome to non-lurk status. :)

Here are my top 5 Cage books, not in any order

1. The Cambridge Companion to John Cage ed. David Nicholls
2. John Cage: An Anthology, ed. Richard Kostelanetz
3. James Pritchett, The Music of John Cage
4. Conversing with Cage, ed. Richard Kostelantetz
5. Musicage (John Cage and Joan Retallack)

I second Stefano's rec. of For the Birds.

For recordings:

1. Sonatas and Interludes (Mode Records) prf. by Philipp Vandré
2. Complete short works for prepared piano (Mode Records) prf. by Philipp Vandré
3. Europeras 3 & 4 (Mode Records), Long Beach Opera
4. The Perilous Night (New Albion Records), prf. by Margaret Leng Tan
5. Song Books, Solo 58 (Other Minds), prf. by Amelia Cuni
6. Diary: How to Improve the World (You Can Only Make Matters Worse) (Wergo), prf. John Cage
7. Empty Words, Part 3 (Ampere), performed by John Cage
8. Atlas Eclipticalis (Asphodel), prf. Czech Philharmonic cnd. by Petr Kotik
9. Roaratorio (Mode), prf. John Cage and others
10. Fourteen (Mode), prf. Stephen Drury and Callithumpian Consort

So many others, but that's a good start. If you buy my book when it comes out in 2012, there's a select discography there.

Cheers,
Rob