silence - [silence] An Artists Role was Re Re Re

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] An Artists Role was Re Re Re

  • From: Mark <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [silence] An Artists Role was Re Re Re
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 00:04:43 +0700

Saw Dylan in Vietnam a few weeks ago... didn't say a word about being there being special, or momentous or historic  ... I don't believe an artist needs to comment on the state of the world... everything I've read from Cage flies against making grand statements of any sort... he usually positioned himself as one whom words were going to be useless in explaining his thoughts on things anyway. Dylan also exhibits this aloofness when asked about his place in politics or history. I believe that Cage wanted to uplift thought and in that way he was against any sort of discrimination.

Regards,

mark

Sent from my iPhone