silence - [silence] Cheap Imitation (violin and piano)

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Cheap Imitation (violin and piano)

  • From: John Hails <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Cheap Imitation (violin and piano)
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 19:09:04 +0000

Dear sigiphiles
I have a question about the violin and piano version of Cheap Imitation.
Paul van Emmerik marks it as 'unfinished (rejected)'.
I'm curious as to how this came to be. I was interested in possibly 'completing' or at least processing it in some fashion so that it is performable, but if Cage rejected it...
Any information will be gratefully consumed
Best wishes
John