silence - Re: [silence] question re: The automatic minimum (see above) is two.

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] question re: The automatic minimum (see above) is two.

I’m with Bill:

In paragraph two of the same text:

“...one enters an anechoic chamber, as silent as technologically possible in 1951, to discover that one hears two sounds of one’s own unintentional making (nerves systematic operation, blood’s circulation)…”

(Bold text added)

This is the “see above” reference. The “unintentional making” must be the “automatic”, and the “minimum (see above) is two” is pretty obvious.

As an aside, I find the phrasing somewhat similar to Bucky Fuller’s definition: “Universe is complex and at minimum two”.

I can’t claim through research, or even dates, that there was influence in either direction. But I like the shared wording and ideas. Makes me happy.

Andrew