silence - Re: [silence] question re: The automatic minimum (see above) is two.

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] question re: The automatic minimum (see above) is two.

  • From: john david fullemann <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [silence] question re: The automatic minimum (see above) is two.
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 16:21:27 +0200

hans

I've never heard such talk from John, but from the text you quote there
are two contrahents: action and response.
Just trying to parse the inscrutable.
yours,
John David Fullemann

Den 2018-04-23 kl. 09:42, skrev hans w. koch:
dear all,

i might overlook something glaringly obvious, but anyway, i have a question:

in hs text “experimental music: doctrine”, cage writes:
Relevant action is theatrical (music [imaginary separation of hearing from
the other senses] does not exist), inclusive and intentionally purposeless.
Theatre is continually becoming that it is becoming; each human being is at
the best point for reception. Relevant response (getting up in the morning
and discovering oneself musician) (action, art) can be made with any number
(including none (none and number, like silence and music, are unreal]) of
sounds. The automatic minimum (see above) is two.

now: what does that "The automatic minimum (see above) is two.” refer to?
in the paragraphs above the one quoted, cages seems to dismiss all
dichotomies, notably the one between sound and silence.
and yet here he seems getting back to that?
or does “automatic” here reference a kind of reflex?

thanks for your help and insights

hans

"Now I a fourfold vision see And a fourfold vision is given to me Tis fourfold in my
supreme delight And three fold in soft Beulahs night And twofold Always. May God us keep
From Single vision & Newtons sleep."

— Blake, Letter to Thomas Butt, 22 November 1802. Quoted in Geoffrey Keynes
(ed.), The Letters of William Blake(1956)