silence - [silence] Re: A question about c ¢omposed imp rovisation for One-Sided Drums …

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: A question about c ¢omposed imp rovisation for One-Sided Drums …

  • From: Ralph Lichtensteiger <>
  • To: Lê Quan Ninh <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: A question about c ¢omposed imp rovisation for One-Sided Drums …
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 11:00:45 +0200

Dear Ninh,

it would really help to have the entire context of the line 'Number those of each description that are favorites' !

But I assume that John Cage is trying to give something like 'poetic licence' to the performer.

'poetic licence' = license or liberty taken by a poet, prose writer, or other artist in deviating from rule, conventional form, logic, or fact, in order to produce a desired effect.
and/or = the act by a writer or poet of changing facts or rules to make a story or poem more interesting or effective:

all the best from old Berlin,

Ralph Lichtensteiger