Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

  • From: Lê Quan Ninh <>
  • To: Dionysis Boukouvalas <>, Silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Re: A question about c ¢omposed impr ovisation for One-Sided Drums …
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 18:06:33 +0200

Hello,
Thank you for your answers.
Actually, I understand the rest of the score as it’s similar to the other one «  c ¢omposed improvisation for snare drum alone »  that I realized and performed many times. The way John Cage shares one of possible method of using chance operations in these pieces (but also in «  Child of Tree » , « Branches », etc.) is so generous and simple…

But this sentence « Number those of each description that are favorites » seems strange especially the word « favorites » ! As the chance operations are an opportunity to avoid likes and dislikes, this word is like a bomb ;-)

Ninh