silence - [silence] Re: A question about c ¢omposed improvi sation for One-Sided Drums …

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: A question about c ¢omposed improvi sation for One-Sided Drums …

  • From: Dionysis Boukouvalas <>
  • To: Lê Quan Ninh <>, Silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Re: A question about c ¢omposed improvi sation for One-Sided Drums …
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 15:51:38 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

I think I get what he means.

It would be helpful though to know the rest of the directions.

Would you care to share a scan with me?

Deciphering Cage's directions is part of the "game". Maybe because one should prove one's devotion before realizing the score. Or maybe it was an effort to move one away from the traditional psychology of performance.

Also, not to forget David Tudor's advice, reported by Cage in one of my favorites anecdotes of his: "If you don't know, why do you ask?" As I understand this zen kind of paradox, one is actually encouraged to seek one's solution. (Then again, one can ask "Silence" anytime 😊)

Dionysis.