silence - [silence] RE: RE: But what about the noise of... in Musicage ?

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] RE: RE: But what about the noise of... in Musicage ?

  • From: Stuart Riddle <>
  • To: Lê Quan Ninh <>, <>
  • Subject: [silence] RE: RE: But what about the noise of... in Musicage ?
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 17:01:23 +0100

Ninh, Thank you - that is helpful, Stuart

Sent: ‎17/‎05/‎2016 15:39
To: ;
Subject: [silence] RE: But what about the noise of... in Musicage ?

Silencers/Ninh, I also have a question about But What About ... What are your thoughts about the numbers on the left hand side of the parts of the score? Stuart

It seems to be only the number of beats on each line. They are probably coming from chance operations such as the minimum and the maximum possible in such a page leaving enough space and vacuum in it. Am I right ?

My opinion is that the aspect of the score gives a lot information about the way to interpret it : there is much more nothing than something and the lightness of each sign can lead us to play soft and delicately.

Ninh