silence - [silence] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 0'00" is a joke...

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 0'00" is a joke...

  • From: Vitor Rua <>
  • To: Rob Haskins <>
  • Cc: Richard Friedman <>,
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 0'00" is a joke...
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 09:16:13 +0100

dear rob,

if you see the first page of the score of 4`33``you will see this note of cage: "The title of this work is the total lenght in minutes and seconds of this performance"...then he explains the woodstock performance and also after the irwin performance... and only at the end he said that "the movements may last any lengths of time" ... so this is VERY DIFFERENT from saying that the piece can last ANY LENGTH OF TIME !!! NO !!! only THE PARTS CAN HAVE THE LENTGH OF TIME THE PERFORMER WANTS in order TO GIVE 4`33``ON THE TOTAL TIME OF THE PIECE...

this is NOT MY INTERPRETATION... is CAGE INTERPRETATION... but almost everybody thinks that when he write that the PARTS (and NOT THE PIECE) can last any lentgh of time... thinks the piece can last any length of time... its NOT TRUE!

and the true is on the beggining of the note write by cage: "The title of this work is the total lenght in minutes and seconds of this performance"...

Best regards
vitor rua