silence - [silence] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 0'00" is a joke...

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 0'00" is a joke...

  • From: matteo pittoni <>
  • To: Vitor Rua <>
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 0'00" is a joke...
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:01:45 +0200

Dear Vitor,

I think that - contrarily to 4'33'' -  the fact that the piece's name is 0'00'' doesn't necessarily mean that it's meant to last zero seconds... the instructions don't talk about the duration of the piece.

Besides, a friend and me have tried to perform that piece of Stockhausen from Aus den sieben Tagen, and yes, we sincerely attempted to "play at the rhythm of the universe". Were we joking? Was Stockhausen joking?

Best regards,

Matteo