silence - [silence] Re: Re: 0'00" is a joke...

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Re: 0'00" is a joke...

  • From: Tim Ovens <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Re: 0'00" is a joke...
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:41:29 +0200

But in the moment, when I perform 0`00``, I organize the sounds. I arrange the amplifying equipment. I fix the time, when I begin my performance. Even though I produce spontaneous sounds, which I did not plan before performing, in the moment when I produce a sound I "organize" it, give it a place in time.

Of course no score for itself is music or organized sound. At first it is an organisation of sound, and the performing is organized sound. And 0`00`` gives us the instruction in which way we have to "organize" any sounds: creating any sounds and amplifying them.

Best,
Tim