silence - [silence] Re: Re: Re: expanding my library

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Re: Re: expanding my library

  • From: Ralph Lichtensteiger <>
  • To: Stefano Pocci <>
  • Cc: Jared Steward <>, ,
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Re: Re: expanding my library
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:10:35 +0200

dear Stefano,

regarding Suzuki, I think the First Series and the Third Series is available, just the Second series is not availlable...

Essays in Zen Buddhism: First Series by Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki
Munshiram Manoharlal Pub Pvt Ltd. (September 2000)
ISBN-10: 8121509556
ISBN-13: 978-8121509558

Essays in Zen Buddhism ( Third Series) by Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki
Munshiram Manoharlal Pub Pvt Ltd; 1 edition (April 2000)
ISBN-10: 8121509572
ISBN-13: 978-8121509572

Essays in Zen Buddhism, second series [Import] [Paperback] by Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki
Rider & Co; New Ed edition (1985)
ISBN-10: 009048441X
ISBN-13: 978-0090484416

When it comes to Zen books, I would also like to include Zen master Dogen, founder of the Soto Zen school in Japan.
John Cage mentioned Dogen (the Shobogenzo) in some of his writings/conversations...

Shobogenzo.: Zen Essays by Dogen
Eihei Dogen (Author), Thomas Cleary (Translator)
University of Hawaii Press (January 1, 1992)
ISBN-10: 0824814010
ISBN-13: 978-0824814014

and

Moon in a Dewdrop: Writings of Zen Master Dogen by Eihei Dogen
Eihei Dogen (Author), Kazuaki Tanahashi (Editor)
North Point Press (October 31, 1995)
ISBN-10: 086547186X
ISBN-13: 978-0865471863

and of course the "Book of Changes"

The I Ching or Book of Changes
Richard Wilhelm (Translator), Cary F. Baynes (Translator), Hellmut Wilhelm (Preface), C. G. Jung (Foreword)
Princeton University Press; 3rd edition (October 1, 1967)
ISBN-10: 069109750X
ISBN-13: 978-0691097503

After reading all the books suggested on this topic I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the I-Ching yet. It's neither by Cage nor on Cage but it has certainly influenced and been a companion of him for a very long time. I didn't think of it too until I saw Ralph's extensive list by the way:-)

Speaking of Suzuki's volumes, Ralph could you please indicate a more recent reprint? (easily available) I've been wondering about buying a Zen book for a while and I guess the time is up. And thank you Caleb for pointing out Kathan Brown's volume on Cage's visual art. That's another hole I need to fill soon as well.
--

Stefano

"When we separate music from
 life what we get is art
 (a compendium of masterpieces)" - John Cage