silence - [silence] Re: Time Bracket pieces

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Time Bracket pieces

  • From: Dionisis Boukouvalas <>
  • To: Silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Time Bracket pieces
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:50:54 +0300

Somehow, I hadn't thought that similar methods were in use before Cage. But of course, indeed, Cage revolutionized the method's use. I'm not sure if his intention was creating works on demand. Similarly, indeed, what is the reason that he and others used the method (other than just an immediate influence, a homage, etc). My reason is that I love the opening of the possibility of interaction between the musicians (or between a musician and one's environment). I'm not sure that Cage had this in mind too. In some case I'm sure that he didn't (as in the "Thirty pieces for string quartet"). But to me, this is the reason for using this method.