silence - Re: [silence] Performing Mesostics and the Other Non-sensical Texts

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Performing Mesostics and the Other Non-sensical Texts

  • From: Rod Stasick <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Performing Mesostics and the Other Non-sensical Texts
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:46:24 -0600

I think the source text translation followed by the mesostic creation
would be closer to Cage’s ideal desire …

… plus, translations of already created Cage mesostic texts would completely
divorce themselves from the original intent that one would wonder what the point
of doing so would be. Tho’ I do think that there may be another way of utilizing them
in other creative ways (perhaps a “Circus” situation in a different country/language).

An idea that I’ve long wanted to see explored begins as a Chinese one where
the created mesostic consists of radical compounds in which the mesostic line
(in this case it would travel horizontally across the page instead of the vertical line
that we know of in English) would represent multiple meanings rather than
individual letters, so you could have an instance whereby the mesostic line
doesn’t just build on individual letters to, finally, get to a meaning of a word,
but each logogram can represent an ever changing concept based on its
position in the Chinese text. In short: a “mesostic” <sic> built on ideas rather
than letters. In Chinese and other languages there are all kinds of these
opportunities to explore. They wouldn’t be called “mesostics,” but the
process could spawn individual names based on whichever language
was being used to create the texts. It would be these texts translated
to English that I’d like to read after hearing the non-English version.

Lately, because of the last year of political events in the US,
I’ve noticed that the use of the term “autogolpe” has gained
some attention. This is the Spanish version of the English word,
“autocoup” which makes me feel a bit embarrassed when I smile at
hearing either term. A self-coup should probably be spoken of in murmurs.

Concerning the reading of texts, Cage has said (especially in his comments to
Klaus Schöning about Roaratorio) that he pretty much tried different ways of
reading texts out loud and made a decision to improvise in a chosen style.

stay safe folks,


Now Playing:

‌Karlheinz Stockhausen:‌ Jerusem (Elektronische Musik Für Proben Und Stereo-Aufführungen): 3 Akzente Vor 12' 45"

from: