silence - Re: [silence] Performing Mesostics and the Other Non-sensical Texts

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Performing Mesostics and the Other Non-sensical Texts

  • From: Christian Kesten <>
  • To: Joseph Zitt <>
  • Cc: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Performing Mesostics and the Other Non-sensical Texts
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:27:07 +0100

Dear Joseph,

good point! Cage’s chanting of Empty Words for example always sounded very modal to me, but I have never done any analysis so far. Would be curious, if anyone has.

To translate the mesostics is an intriguing idea: first I thought, it’s impossible, since their form is based on and dependent from the source material. But if one takes the translations of the source material, or first translate that, and then proceed with the same methods Cage used, then it might be possible. Maybe worth a try!

Best,
Christian Kesten