silence - Re: [silence] Electronic Music For Piano

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Electronic Music For Piano

  • From: Rod Stasick <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Electronic Music For Piano
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 11:57:07 -0500

Thanks Eric for passing our thoughts forward to Gino
and thanks to Gino for taking time to reply.

The approaches to the recording(s) that you mentioned (Gino)
are wonderfully delicious - especially the multi-mic on/off approach.
Max/MSP, or something similar, really extends the possibilities to
wonderfully surprising results. Now, I’m looking forward to the
duos recording so I can create my own mixes and beam them
throughout the house.

My performers comment was a bit of a personal cynical take,
but I’ve come across others in person and in print who’ve either
had difficulty themselves or have experienced other performers
who’ve had this difficulty. Both performer and composer: “What to do?”
The key, and telling, phrase in your response is: "musicians trained in
contemporary music performance…” which just reinforces certain
unorthodox feelings I’ve had about composition/performance
after doing this for over 50 years.

{ a diversion… }

[ Dennis Bathory-Kitsz’ "Whaaaaaaaaat!? I Don't Get Classical Music:
A Self-Help Desperation Guide”
“...So why is sitting down and just listening to classical music so hard?
I’ll tell you why. It’s because you’ve been told it’s hard…” ]

looking forward to the duos recording if it happens,

best to all,

Rod

http://stasick.org

*************
Now Playing:

‌John Cage (Sanggar Ceraken of Bali):‌ Bacchanale

‌from:
‌Gamelan Cage‌

‌Last.FM:
https://www.last.fm/user/rostasi2