silence - Re: [silence] Electronic Music For Piano

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Electronic Music For Piano

  • From: Philip Thomas <>
  • To: AHF <>, silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Electronic Music For Piano
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 06:41:50 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=hud.ac.uk; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=hud.ac.uk; dkim=pass header.d=hud.ac.uk; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=rEoL5mx1ZtWuHrkAZYHSPU0aMcLLAWpWNHVmyjDRBXM=; b=h1c/2BCIAhXzH0fRHhPP3n0t7s/eE08JxKqaUnZXxIRS7Rje+ymy1sC4VH/YSzrzI7Z3kyeZbTsk1XehPX+MeyrE/MyVWAG1cXDYy4R0JRz8+BTvxhFExZCc0+iS8/8IxViL8GTjJAMtivh1aBSjN0DfTkBMT+/4G+F1Us4sad/w6AqT0ISsRgjuFumaGh0k5lnWX3lT43yCZxINLWSJTqiCwxH3oyC8OFPJRWd3GzWtj84ifaTVLpU0tL1B481PuRR1qlHP/jyXB6ugnO3ETbmsXOSyPG5Vd2D6hZYDhIn1P9GQhNrF9Gek8/LkF0810lTK8mNqFEFFAYwKknGqdQ==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=Jc7XIg5MBfWSL4es17jBR/VlU2lTKFDuTfoHetUxcH5BDZfS205bNFIVYuQlZZ2pSdmxZ81k3KCJKtYO69gcN99dMvoVWwNe6nlFzK7IXIPd4jh3Zn9Mx2vR2TijJh8fLGolrNBgK9d8D7ExieK8gvC3pYhyZoRJr2o4yNlkAYzA4dp8gOcDQ5vHzLQNHcxaTkOgSClFOd9JPCWYFfgKwi47mIEnK6b03csY2aJhrggqIYjFnmZAqHs223dMFib5R/swnj250HVcvx7dObY6RKbsxFRF0jUSOcTStJYmVwAc3aiTzMDCD1gz6Z66RSYb5adnXUnRX142f+4VTRFZQA==

Hi Andrew
It’s a piece I’ve played many times, very differently each time. Here’s a short film documenting a performance from 10 years ago https://vimeo.com/22601541
The score consists of notes and suggestions for a performance, most likely written after the event I imagine, the event being a performance by Cage and Tudor. The words scattered across the page suggest manipulations of, additions to and variations upon a performance of the Music for Piano set. There’s a bunch of different recordings out there, each quite distinct.
For my performances the elements that generally feature, other than the Music for Piano pieces themselves, are recorded performances overlayed upon the live performance, very high and very low sounds, and distortion. The performance from 10 years ago featured in the video also included a lot of mixing of live sounds from different rooms in the gallery I was playing in, which featured Cage’s visual art works as part of the Hayward touring exhibition in 2010.
Philip

Philip Thomas, Professor of Performance
www.philip-thomas.co.uk
Music and Music Technology