silence - Re: [silence] Electronic Music For Piano

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Electronic Music For Piano

  • From: Rod Stasick <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Electronic Music For Piano
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 22:09:19 -0500

I have, I think, 4 or 5 recordings of this work.
What makes it a wonderful work, for me, is its
openness with semi-relations to other works like,
for example, Cartridge Music or the Variations series.
The dedication to Tudor seems apt considering that
the notes touch on various suggestions that Cage surely
felt that Tudor could realize the work in his own special way.

The electronic leaning of a work of the 60s like this was toward
feedback, but I think today’s performers have an enormous wealth
of possibilities with the relative ease of access as well to do justice to
a work like this. Fragments of the score do refer to 4-84 with specific
mentions of sound produced on keyboard (K), muted (M), and “P”
being pizzicato played with noises outside or inside the piano (O & I).
I seem to remember a reference to Atlas Eclipticalis too with the
possibilities of star chart transcriptions placed over the controls of
the sound rather than ways of directly notating sounds.

I think it’s not played often because most performers want to be told what to
do.

Rod

http://stasick.org

*************
Now Playing:

‌Buckminster Fuller:‌ Everything I Know (Session 11) - the Historic 42-Hour
Session with Bucky: 104

‌from:
‌Everything I Know (Session 11)‌

‌Last.FM: