silence - Re: [silence] Books or papers going into detail about Schoenberg and Cage?

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Books or papers going into detail about Schoenberg and Cage?

  • From: Sara Haefeli <>
  • To: David Bellows <>
  • Cc: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Books or papers going into detail about Schoenberg and Cage?
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 16:37:33 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

I should have also mentioned David’s great book chapter:

Bernstein, David. “John Cage, Arnold Schoenberg, and the Musical Idea.” In John Cage: Music, Philosophy, and Intention 1933–1950 , edited by David Patterson, 15–46. New York: Routledge, 2002.

Both Rob’s annotated bibliography and mine are great sources.  There are a lot of interviews in which Cage talks about his studies with Schoenberg.

Sara Haefeli, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
School of Music
Whalen Center for Music 2321