silence - [silence] Re: Cage's prejudices

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Cage's prejudices

  • From: Rob Haskins <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Cage's prejudices
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 17:57:39 -0400

The arguments in the Defense of Satie are less arguments against Beethoven so much as they are Cage's own carving out a place for himself by appealing to other composer-forbears whose approach was more amenable to his own. (And not a little of the anti-Beethoven posturing had to do with the circumstances surrounding its presentation at Black Mountain, then dominated by lots of people with pro-German musical sentiments including Albers and Erwin Bodky.)

My general feeling is that Satie's harmony is interesting and often plays at least a quasi structural role in his music (albeit that structure is much different from Beethoven's). Likewise, I'm not sure that Cage's description of Webern is very satisfying other than as a(n admittedly interesting) report of a surface impression.

Cage's dislike of jazz is very well known and, in its way, about as off the mark as Adorno's view is. A good starting point for a nuanced critique would be George Lewis's article,  “Improvised Music After 1950: Afrological and Eurological Perspectives.” Black Music Research Journal 16 (1996): 91–122.

All best,
Rob