silence - [silence] Cage's prejudices

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Cage's prejudices

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: [silence] Cage's prejudices
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:20:50 -0400 (EDT)

Cage often spoke of his lack of likes and dislikes when given the chance, but as we all know there certainly existed a gulf between his point of view and things such as jazz musics and Beethoven. I'd like to hear any of the Silence members' takes on these musical stances. For instance, he'd speak of jazz musicians as disparate members of a panel concurrently discussing topics oblivious to what each other might be saying, or referred to it as a political noise, and he held Beethoven and Beethoven's music with equal criticism. I've never read his Defense of Satie, but could any of you that have read the essay outline any of the more convincing points Cage made that stood pejoratively against Beethoven's music and positively for Satie's (other than Satie's music superficially organized with time unit as opposed to Beethoven's frequency)? And how do Cage enthusiasts interpret his views on jazz music?