silence - [silence] Re: Cage's prejudices

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Cage's prejudices

  • From: Stefano Pocci <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Cage's prejudices
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 11:28:56 +0200

On 06/17/2011 10:20 PM, wrote:
....And how do Cage enthusiasts interpret his views on jazz music?

Hi, there, I haven't read Cage's Defense of Satie yet, but I'd like to report an anecdote I was told some years ago about Cage and jazz musicians that seem to confirm your words. Basically Cage said that he had some troubles working with jazzmen who were too much ego-centered to really be free the way he intended freedom (of tastes). On the other hand, he was more at ease with classical performers. I remember being surprised at the time but after reading more Cage stuff it made sense.
--

Stefano

"When we separate music from
 life what we get is art
 (a compendium of masterpieces)" - John Cage