silence - [silence] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Intriguing title of publication - just found in my inbox as an alert...

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Intriguing title of publication - just found in my inbox as an alert...

  • From: Stefano Pocci <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Intriguing title of publication - just found in my inbox as an alert...
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 15:25:16 +0100

On 11/04/2010 07:06 PM, Richard Friedman wrote:
Teach-out has a blog:

http://www.artsjournal.com/aboutlastnight/

and it's not very interesting.

--
Richard Friedman
Oakland, California

Yep, I wasn't really excited by the blog but anyway... After reading the two paragraphs I guess that we can add another member to the "misunderstanding Cage club" uh?:-)

I think that the greatest legacy Cage left is the fact people are still debating whether he was a composer or not, a philosopher or a charlatan. It's the impossibility to place him under the common labels that fascinates fans (I guess); well, it's one of the reasons that can be applied to my case at least. Actually I would like to quote Virgil Thomson's words about Cage's rigidity to become flexible and free by a self imposed discipline (read it on Peter Dickinson's "Cage Talk" book). It's this kind of jarring oxymoron (rules to be free to break them) that enthralls me, which probably explains why I'm so in tune with Duchamp too:-)

Cheers

--
Stefano

"The rest of them were just artists. Duchamp collects dust" - John Cage