silence - [silence] Re: silence Digest Sun, 07 Nov 2010

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: silence Digest Sun, 07 Nov 2010

  • From: Louis Cohen <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: silence Digest Sun, 07 Nov 2010
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 07:28:36 -0500

I was a student of Cage's in 1958 and lived through the frustrating years when he and his followers (including me) got publicly and privately trashed frequently. This article (the part quoted in these messages) is certainly not original; it's just a rehash of what some people have been saying for years.

There will always be people who can't tolerate the way in which Cage extended boundaries. I found it was a lot easier to go my way by just ignoring these comments.

The good news is the extent to which the use of noise and indeterminacy have been accepted by young musicians everywhere. I perform with these youngsters all the time. It's exhilarating, and no one trashes Cage.

-Lou Cohen

On Nov 7, 2010, at 11:04 PM,

 wrote:

The author also rehashes the myth of Cage having no ear for harmony
(queue Schoenberg, who "at least kind of knew how to compose properly"
and using the famous "brick wall quotation").