silence - [silence] New branch of UBU archive seeks submissions

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] New branch of UBU archive seeks submissions

  • From: Electronic Sound Resource UBU <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [silence] New branch of UBU archive seeks submissions
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 16:35:16 -0400

New branch of Ubu archive seeks submissions

Hi,

We're in the process of co-curating a new subsection of the ubu.com

archive devoted to historical and rare/unnoticed  materials concerning

the technical development of experimental/electronic approaches to

sound.  It seems like there's a real need for this kind of archive and

we're wondering if you've got anything in your collections you'd like

to share. we're open to suggestions about what would make such an

archive "useful".

Specifically, we're looking for information about the actual methods

and techniques of electronic and experimental music, not just

aesthetic writing. We're interested in instrument design, performance

methods, graphic scores, and idiosyncratic techniques. We're looking

for technical/historical articles, scores, documents, books,

small-press magazines and patents that are either rare (and unlikely

to be reprinted) or public domain (but little known - like Hedy

Lamarr's frequency-hopping patent), but not things (like most

schematics) that are clearly contestable as intellectual property.

Design articles offering analysis of significant circuits of

historical value are definitely of interest. However, most other

schematics would be off-limits. Besides being a nightmare to sort &

evaluate, schematics are clearly property in many cases.  It is not

within our scope to offer "cookbook" circuits for builders. it is our

primary goal to provide perspective, not tutorials. Hugh Davies'

articles tracing the history of the ring modulator and optical

synthesis are more like it.  We also intend to highlight the visual

language(s) used in experimental work. visual and also audio materials

are strongly desired.

Contemporary work, when already well-documented on personal websites

and blogs, is probably not appropriate for inclusion. The purpose of

the archive is to offer materials that are hard to find. There are

likely exceptions.

Please contact us at the address below with submissions, questions,

suggestions, or wish lists.

Michael Johnsen

Matthew Wellins