silence - [silence] question about preparing the piano

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

  • From: Dionysis Boukouvalas <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [silence] question about preparing the piano
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 21:37:49 +0000

I am thinking of performing some of Cage's work for the prepared piano.
I'm sure this is a (C)age-old question (forgive me the pun, I couldn't resist), but:
Does preparing the piano detune it? I.e. do I have to have a piano technician stand-by to retune the piano after I remove the preparations? (e.g. to play a non-prepared piece).
Thank you!
Dionysis.

P.S. I read somewhere that it might even harm the piano strings, but I guess if I do it in a careful manner that won't happen.