silence - Re: [silence] Happy Birthday

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Happy Birthday

  • From: Rod Stasick <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Happy Birthday
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 12:08:17 -0500

Since his 101st, I’ve made a habit of listening, simultaneously -
on his birthdays - to the number pieces that either are or add up
to the birthday year.

Except for year 101 and the 108th birthdays, I’ve used  chance operations
to come up with combinations to match each birthday.

Since “108" was the last time a single work could be listened to alone,
they now have to involve combinations of works. So this year, it is a
combination of “Twenty-Three” [1988]; “Eighty” [1992] and “Six” [1991].

I also have “moving” versions (each work played on different speakers
throughout the house) and “still” versions (a single specific version that
incorporates each piece using chance-derived overlaps). This year’s “still”
version has a length of 32:59.763 (almost 33 minutes).

For his 104th, chance delivered something unusual that incorporated
his work “103” with a non-“number piece” and so I had a combination
of “103” with his reading from “Diary…”

John still lives on in our hearts and his music…

Rod