silence - Re: [silence] Cagean or Cageian?

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Cagean or Cageian?

  • From: Rod Stasick <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Cagean or Cageian?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 14:15:32 -0500

You have your work cut out for you Sara!
All of us having our reasons.

I like that words are meant to be heard as well as read.
If you are writing a text that may later be read out loud
(unless it’s asemetic writing), it’s nice to keep that in mind.
Yes, context will allow folks to understand that “Cagean”
doesn’t refer to Acadians (and just like “Acadian,” that “i”
makes it quite distinct while reminding us of the “e” in "Cage”
being asked to do double-duty), “Cageian" makes it quite clear,
in a triple-step way, that the text is either about or derived from
Cage’s name when being read aloud. If we really wanted
"shorter and simpler,” I suppose we could dare go for “Cagan”
which would take out the silent letter, but who wants to
remove silence and make things short and simple?
Cage never did.

I just got back from the eye doctor and “i”
is on my (mind’s) eye. Hope you don’t mind.


Now Playing:

‌Merv Griffin:‌ Along Came Joe

from:
‌Rare Bacharach: the Early Years 1958-1965‌

‌‌Last.FM:
https://www.last.fm/user/rostasi2

Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/rostasi/