silence - Re: [silence] Robert Wilson performs John Cage’s ‘Lecture on Nothing’

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Robert Wilson performs John Cage’s ‘Lecture on Nothing’

  • From: William Brooks <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Robert Wilson performs John Cage’s ‘Lecture on Nothing’
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 07:15:31 -0500

Hello, everyone—

For what it’s worth (Nothing, I hope), I’ve performed the Lecture on Nothing several times. My view is that strict adherence to the prescribed tempo (one second per unit of prose) produces (a) complex and unpredictable rhythms because of the interaction the rigorous tempo with constraints of syntax and breath; (b) clear problems in delivery, for the same reason, that require investigating, choosing among, and practicing alternative solutions _in advance_; and (c) an enforced attention to something other than what is being said, which can assist in quieting the ego. I usually practice with a metronome for several iterations, then attempt to internalise the reading so that an actual timekeeper is not necessary. When a problem has several alternative answers (e.g., where does a one-syllable word go in its one-second “time bracket"—beginning, end or centered?), I try when possible to use chance operations to settle the question.

Where is the “nothing” that this lecture concerns? It seems to me that it resides in that which lies behind the words, not (of course) in the words themselves. Behind the words lies only (and always) time; there _is_ Nothing to time, at least for Cage in the 1950s, because time cannot be captured, only experienced, and the culture he occupied then—generally—required that “things” take tangible, manipulable, archivable form. Time does not; therefore it is No Thing.

For me, performing the Lecture on Nothing has thus opened up the historical links between Cage, the pragmatists (broadly conceived), and transcendentalism. The performances were also very important, in retrospect, in allowing me to grasp and apply W. B. Yeats’s compositional practice, which consisted in chanting a line or series of lines over and over until they achieved a fixed sonic form—the objective being to pass beyond the surface level of meaning and syntax to something more mysterious (not exactly “music,” but certainly not merely “poetry”) that lay beyond. That, in turn, explains a little about Cage’s affection for Finnegans Wake and his remarkable performance in recording _Roaratorio_.

Best wishes to all, and please vote in November.

Bill

William Brooks

Professor of Music
University of York
Heslington, York YO10 5DD
United Kingdom
(01904-324449)

Email is not a secure method of communication. Be careful what you write.