silence - Re: [silence] Robert Wilson performs John Cage’s ‘Lecture on Nothing’

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Robert Wilson performs John Cage’s ‘Lecture on Nothing’

  • From: John Hails <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Robert Wilson performs John Cage’s ‘Lecture on Nothing’
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 11:19:24 +0100

Dear all
I couldn't watch the broadcast live (I've been having migraines for the last couple of days) but I put it on this morning.
My favourite moment was the ten minute countdown before the lecture started.
While I am sad about this, I went away and read more of Cage's texts this morning than I have all year... And I was reminded of how I approached performing the Lectures on Nothing, Something, and 45' for a Speaker, and it made me want to do it all again and more. (Not because I think that my performances would be better or that I have an audience, but because the reading out loud and performance of them gives me pleasure.)
'It is only irritating    to think one would like   to be somewhere else.'
'Nothing is not   a pleasure   if one is irritated'
And I was irritated particularly by the fourth large part.
Before that, Wilson's delivery was Wilson's delivery and I enjoyed many moments ('but suddenly   it is a pleasure') where the delivery exposed a word or a phrase that might otherwise have been normalised in delivery. But then he got into bed which demonstrated the extent to which this was 'Nothing' by Robert Wilson rather than 'Lecture on Nothing' by John Cage. So just as Jonathan Miller's production of Bach Passions is not to my taste, this is generally not to my taste.
But I worry that my taste for styles of performance might get confused with conceptions of purity and authenticity as a gatekeeping mechanism.
When is a performance embarrassing, and when does it embarrass me, and is there a difference?
'Remove the records from Texas   and someone   will learn to sing'
Should we just start with Cage's text rather than the performance tradition?
'We need not destroy the past:   it is gone;   at any moment,   it might reappear and   seem to be   and be the present  .'
I am reminded of Neil Gaiman on film adaptations: the book hasn't actually gone anywhere and you can go back to read it.
'Would it be a   repetition?   Only if we thought we owned it,   but since we don't,   it is free   and so are we...'

Many thoughts, few answers.
Thursday 13th October 11:19 BST, Edinburgh UK.