silence - Re: [silence] John Cage - 4'33" (Quarantine Edition)

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] John Cage - 4'33" (Quarantine Edition)

  • From: Rod <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] John Cage - 4'33" (Quarantine Edition)
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 10:14:14 -0500

I think there are multiple ways that you can approach this.
As an audio work: you can listen to your surroundings just
fine without having to feel like you have to stare into a void,
so a comfortable amount of movement seems fine to me.
Scratch your nose if it itches. Zombie-like staring gives a
kind of exclusivity to the action of listening that I don’t think
was originally intended. Just listen.

I also look at this video as a visualization of the work.
With no attention to sound, the performer lifts a cup to
delineate the movements of the work. They and us,
after-all, are spending time, not only listening generally
(while we are also listening specifically with YouTube),
but watching generally and, a bit more so for us,
specifically, for the ascribed time.