silence - Re: [silence] Cage's Concert

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Cage's Concert

  • From: Joseph Zitt <>
  • To: Philip Thomas <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Cage's Concert
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 16:25:35 +0300

This looks exciting. I've put the book on my wishlist and will be digging through the website at length.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:27 PM Philip Thomas <> wrote:

Dear Silencers

Some of you might be interested to know about the recent publication of a book I’ve co-authored with Martin Iddon, ‘John Cage’s Concert for Piano and Orchestra’. It’s available from OUP now https://global.oup.com/academic/product/john-cages-concert-for-piano-and-orchestra-9780190938475?cc=gb&lang=en&

For a very different kind of exploration of the same piece, see our website https://cageconcert.org/ which examines performance issues through text, video, interviews with performers, and apps.

And for a slightly eccentric take on the ‘Solo for Piano’, I’ve uploaded a ‘complete’ performance, read in sequence from page 1 to page 63 and compiled in the studio, to youtube https://youtu.be/pt7xqOovh4s

Thanks for reading!
Philip

Philip Thomas, Professor of Performance

www.philip-thomas.co.uk

https://cageconcert.org/

Music and Music Technology

University of Huddersfield

Queensgate, Huddersfield HD1 3DH

Tel: 01484 471336

http://www.hud.ac.uk/courses/supporting/music/

University of Huddersfield inspiring global professionals.

--
"Write what you dream. Shoot what you can. Edit what you have." -- Unknown