silence - Re: [silence] Just a reminder...

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Just a reminder...

  • From: Mode Admin <>
  • To: AHF <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Just a reminder...
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 19:20:08 -0400

Hi Andrew & Silencers

I'm not sure what your comment means "how well it sounds as a download"? Honestly, I have not bought anything from Bandcamp and I have someone working on posting the Mode releases there for me — I still have to proofread what has been already posted. My understanding is that Bandcamp gives you multiple audio choices when you purchase. Mode supplied them always with CD quality files, you should be able to pick that, FLAC, MP3 and perhaps some others. Is that not the case?

For the time being, one can only get CD quality downloads of Mode from Bandcamp or directly from Mode (simply send an email with your wants if ordering from Mode along with how you wish to pay). All the other DSPs (Digital Service Providers) have Mode as MP3s.

Now to answer your question: Mode gets the most income with direct purchases. Bandcamp is the next best thing, but they do take a fee, as does Paypal. Any download or streaming from any other  provider yields us much less, and in the case of streaming from other providers it is a mere $0.003 per stream. But really, any sale is helpful these days except that streaming really does not help much at all.

As you may know, Mode is in the midst of a Gofundme campaign to modernize our website and bring Mode fully up to date digitally. The Bandcamp label site for Mode is happening because of the Gofundme. The newly revised Mode website will have a shopping cart (finally!), a secure server and you will be able  to purchase not only physical product, but also CD quality downloads and eventually stream directly from Mode all via the shopping cart. We are projecting the website launch by beginning of April, but it is a huge job as the old website is so old it has to be entirely recreated.

You can find the Gofundme campaign at
gf.me/u/w5dzzm
any size donation is welcome, needed, appreciated.

BTW, the other big plus is that the Bielecki Foundation has offered a matching grant of $10,000 if Mode hits its goal by March 31st. We still have $2,480 to go!

Please excuse the campaign message.

Many thanks
Brian