silence - Re: [silence] Cage Nocturnes

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Cage Nocturnes

  • From: Caleb Deupree <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Cage Nocturnes
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 06:45:20 -0700

Perhaps an analogy for tightening or relaxing the string, i.e., moving the
tuning peg. So relaxing would be detuning, and tightening would be putting
it back to concert pitch (and which could be simulated, I imagine)? Pure
speculation inspired by the terms “relax” and “tighten” and their specified
order in the piece. I’ve heard these terms used by guitarists as they tune
their instruments. I don’t play violin, and I don’t know the Cage piece in
question.
---
Caleb Deupree