silence - [silence] Cage Nocturnes

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Cage Nocturnes

  • From: Rob Haskins <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Cage Nocturnes
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 14:45:54 -0400

A friend is performing the Cage Nocturnes for Violin and Piano and called me today to ask a question about an instruction in the violin part: something about how the violinist, playing a B and C, is instructed to "tighten" the C. I thought it might refer to make the C sharper, narrowing the distance between the two notes. The violinist thinks it is to emphasize the C, making it rougher as played on the string. Does anyone know? I'm sorry that I don't have the score and have no more info than this.

--
Rob Haskins, D.M.A., Ph.D.
ProfessorĀ of Music