silence - [silence] Re: chance operations

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: chance operations

  • From: Lê Quan Ninh <>
  • To: Stefano Pocci <>,
  • Subject: [silence] Re: chance operations
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 09:50:45 +0100

Hello,
If you look at the scores Child of Tree, Branches or c ¢omposed improvisation (for snare drum alone / for one-sided drums with or without jangles / for Steinberger Bass Guitar) for instance, you will have clues about the way John Cage was using the I-Ching. More, you will have an experience using it to determine parameters and will enjoy the surprises that will occur.
Indeed, to ask the right questions, or to ask them in a way that using chance operations through I-Ching can find answers, is fundamental. John Cage was once saying something like « I don’t know if I am a composer but I’m very good in asking questions ».

Ninh