silence - [silence] Re: vexations refunds

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: vexations refunds

  • From: Stefano Pocci <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: vexations refunds
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 23:12:03 +0300

On 07.10.2016 21:58, Eric Theise wrote:
Derek Beaulieu's posted an image of the program for the famous Vexations concert organized by Cage in 1963.

https://twitter.com/derekbeaulieu/status/780146360792199168

I've never seen this before. I didn't realize that pianists repeated as often as they did–for better or worse, contemporary performances seem to involve many more players–and I also don't remember ever hearing about the punch clock and incentive plan!

Thanks for sharing this, it's a very nice testimony of this first execution.
I have a feeling I have seen it already, but maybe I am mistaking with Ornella Volta's "A Mammal's notebook" collection of Satie's writings which includes obviously the enigmatic text of Vexation and the history of its first public performance organized by Cage in 1963.
On this note, I'll share again for those who haven't seen it yet the 1963 episode of "I've got a secret" featuring John Cale, one of the eighteen pianists that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mqO-xsRyTM

--

Stefano

"Like a pizza in the rain, no one wants to take you home, but I love you just the
same."