silence - [silence] Searchable Cage texts

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Searchable Cage texts

  • From:
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [silence] Searchable Cage texts
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 19:38:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016, Philip Thomas wrote:

Does anyone have a PDF or similar of the Art Lange interview with Cage from
1978?

This query reminds me of a project I wish the Cage Trust would consider: a searchable database of all of Cage's texts.

Think of a Google or HathiTrust search for copyrighted texts. You get the sentence in context with an explanation of where it is found, and that's it. U.S. Courts have found this to be legitimately within fair use.

Wouldn't it be a useful tool of all of Cage's writings were in a searchable database that anyone could query to find references for particular quotes? All those queries of half-remembered quotes could be directed to the database and the correct quote found (or proved to have not come from Cage).

I'm thinking of it just as a quick means to find quotes, but I'm sure other researchers could think of even more creative uses of such a database.

How much more legitimate such a project could be under the aegis of the Cage Trust. (I hope you're listening Laura - and hi!)

Bob Kosovsky, Ph.D. -- Curator, Rare Books and Manuscripts,
Music Division, The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
blog:  http://www.nypl.org/blog/author/44   Twitter: @kos2
  Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users
--- My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions ---