silence - [silence] Dynamic Range Database

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Dynamic Range Database

  • From: Rod Stasick <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [silence] Dynamic Range Database
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 08:01:38 -0500

Hi folks,

Found something rather interesting.
I'll try to keep this short...but many of you may have heard
about "The Loudness War" which is a reaction to the fact that
many record labels that release pop music often will cut off
all the "highs" and "lows" of an album, so as to make the album
seem to be as loud as possible for young ears who are swayed by
loudness equaling "good."

So, there's a website that, unofficially and maybe not too scientifically,
has a ratings scale to measure dynamic ranges of various recordings -
actually, it's currently at over 77,000 releases. You can read about it here:

I'm mentioning this here, because tied for the top two places in "proper"
dynamic range are the same Cage recording (but one as a lossy download
and the second as a lossless CD recording) of the S.E.M. Ensemble recording
of the Concert for Piano & Orchestra and Atlas Eclipticalis. There's a Feldman
recording at 4th place and others that you may find interesting at this link

(for the best dynamic ranges)

other Cage recordings:

and here for the general, searchable webpage:

It yields some interesting results when you do
some searching of favorite recordings.

hope everyone's having a good springtime!

best to all,

Rod

---
Now playing: Giacinto Scelsi - Alleluja for Violoncello Solo (1970)